Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Chapter 1.0: The Llama


Dear old Gus, he was a sweet old man even if he was a little crazy.  He was the best fisherman in Hidden Springs.  If you needed fresh fish, you went and saw Fisherman Gus.  He could almost always be found along the lake shore with a line in the water.  No one knows quite where he came from, as no one knew of him as a young man, he just seemed to show up one day; plopped down in the middle of Hidden Springs.

“There’s that voice again.  I’ve been told I’m a little crazy but, hearing voices, this is ridiculous.  Not to mention the voice is talking about me!”

Then one day, as he returned home from a not so successful fishing trip (I mean really, what are you going to do with two anchovies…make a Caesar salad?), he had a vision (or perhaps a hallucination).  There on his front porch was a llama!  Gus wasn’t sure whether to approach this creature or call animal control.  He thought for a moment and decided that the anchovies that he carried really shouldn’t stay out in this heat, so he decided it best to try and get in his house.

“What’s the worst a llama’s going to do….spit on me?”

Then, completely unexpectedly, the llama turned to him and spoke.  “Come sign up for University.” she said.

Gus was startled at first; since when do llamas talk?  But if a talking llama was going to tell him to do something, who was he to argue.  I mean it isn’t every day you come home to a giant llama that tells you to invest in your education.  He made the call right away, packed a few belongings, including his fishing gear, and waited for the University moving truck to come pick him up.  And off he was, not really sure what he was going to do when he arrived, but oh well.


“I’m sure they have some nice fishing holes there.”
I’m sure they do.
“And maybe I can teach some of those youngsters a thing or two about the great outdoors while I’m there.”
I’m sure you will.
“Just great!  The voice is talking back to me know?!?  Maybe I need some stronger medication.”
University Moving Shuttle Driver: “I’m sorry sir, were you talking to me?”
“No.  Sorry.  It’s been quite the day.  Let’s just get on the road.”
You really shouldn’t talk to me when other people are around, they’ll think you’re even crazier than you are.
“Oh, be quiet!”
University Moving Shuttle Driver: “Sorry sir, I won’t say another word.”

And they drove on in silence, away from Hidden Springs and onto University.

 

1 comment:

  1. I laughed my butt off at the llama thing. I can tell I am really going to enjoy your entry. Thank you so much for trying this out!

    ReplyDelete