Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Chapter 1.1: University

Gus had been assigned to a co-ed dorm.  Apparently it had been a very long drive as he showed up in his pajamas.

“So what?  These are my comfy pants.  You expected me to sit in that truck for that long and not wear something comfy?”


He introduced himself to a couple of his new roommates, visited for a bit and then headed over to the Meet and Greet.  While there he received an invitation to a party that evening.  But before the party he managed to get in a little fishing.
 


Gus was immediately attracted to the hostess.

“But she would never go for an old fart like me.”
Never know if you don’t talk to her.

Gus walked over and introduced himself.  Their conversation was great until she had to slip away to use the washroom.  The party soon came to an end and Gus headed back to his dorm.  He fixed a light snack and headed off to bed.  His first class was tomorrow and he was already up way past the normal time he would go to bed, let alone when he had to get up early the next day.

“I think I’m old enough not to have a ‘bedtime’, don’t you think?”
I just don’t want you to be too tired tomorrow; there is a lot to do…
“Fine...but I was tired anyway.”


The first term flew by, and as it did Gus started realizing he had missed out on a lot by not getting married and having kids.  Maybe it was the fact that he was surrounded by youth, or maybe it was a late midlife crisis, but he started to believe that his life had a hole in it.  And that hole could only be filled with the family that he didn’t have.

“Well aren’t you just a ray of sunshine?”
Just stating the obvious.  Perhaps you should go find a young lady?
“Oh, I’m sure she would be overjoyed to date an old bag of bones like me.”
Don’t sell yourself short.  I don’t think these people think much about age difference.  You find a cute one and I’ll help you woo her.
“Whatever you say.  I’m going fishing.”
Not sure you'll find many women there.

It was a full moon out the night she showed up in the dorm’s backyard.  Her name was Karri and she was perfect (once she changed back to human form).

 
Gus immediately introduced himself and they hit it off right away.

 
Hey, you guys aren’t zombies anymore!  You can stop eating the plants.
 

Their first date was a stunning success. 


 
 
Gus was smitten and professed his love in a love letter.

 
And on their second date they officially became a couple.

“She actually likes me.”
I told you so.
“Maybe she thinks I’m rich and she just wants a good sugar daddy.”
Oh, don’t be paranoid.  The way you dress, I don’t think anyone could mistake you for rich.
“What’s wrong with the way I dress?  Anyway, didn’t you help pick these clothes out?”
They suit you.

On a sad note, one of Gus’s roommates, Tiberius Willard, got stuck in the chimney (guessing he was trying to catch Santa), no one noticed until Grim paid a visit.

To get over the loss (although he really didn't know him very well), Gus went fishing.

 
Gus flew through his classes, passing with flying colours even though he barely studied.  He even managed to get on the Dean’s list.

 
“I told you I’d do well.”
No you didn’t.
“Well whatever.  Do I finally get to go home now?”
Any reason in particular?  Maybe to give a call to a certain blonde we both know?
“Maybe.  I haven’t seen her almost all term.  Her classes were opposite of mine.  Or maybe she changed her mind about dating me.”
Oh I doubt it.  She was just busy with classes.  Let’s get you home so you can invite her over and really get the ball rolling.


 
 
It was good to get back to Hidden Springs.


 
 
He’d almost forgotten how beautiful it was.

Home Sweet Home!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment